Monday, April 4, 2011

Magpie Painting



I have a confession...I'm a magpie painter.....

Now this term is something that I made up but to me it means...someone who paints willy-nilly, collecting " shiny styles" as they flitter from one technique or style to the next ...and this is also very frustrating.

I'm frustrated in the sense that my work has no direction, I don't build on one style and try to develop it...and I think my lack of sales and progress with my art is directly related to this.

Basically, I love painting and trying new stuff...but none of it develops into a cohesive style that is all me....

So, I'm getting pro-active about it. I laid out ALL my painting going back to 2007 and looked at them...just looked...no judgment, just recognizing my output...

Then I started gathering pictures that didn't really establish what I want to relate...that is...paintings that may be good in their own way don't really represent what I'm trying to do or say...

It could be there subject matter doesn't thrill me...
I painted it in a "fit of passion"....and it isn't "me"
Or it's just not right...

I kept weeding through and sorting out pictures all the while constantly reminding myself that the pictures weren't "bad"....they just don't point in the direction I would like to head....

Eventually, I gathered a collection of paintings that I really liked...paintings that made me happy when painting them, or...again...represented what I'm trying to communicate...

And I have created a road map to direct me as I work on developing this...

Now, all of this may sound trivial and common sense...and maybe it is. But as someone who has never had much formal "ART" education, this is something I've never done or thought about doing...but I feel like it's essential to discovering who you are as an artist. Reflecting back on past work, looking objectively, and laying the road map out for yourself as to where you want to go....

But also as someone who has never had formal art training...this is a hard thing to do....I ask for advice and comments about my work...but because the people I ask know me and like me...they say I love it...It's all wonderful.....

There's no objective viewpoint. And I understand why they say these things, art is very personal and the whole "beauty in the eye of the holder" thing....and people don't want to discourage.
(And if you have ever offered an opinion...thank you!)

But I digress...It is essential to develop a style and get better at what you're doing....

Of course, there is and should always be room for experimenting or as I like to think of it...get it out of your system. So, that's what I plan to use my artist's books for...styles that I need to paint, but don't necessarily want to develop as a signature style.

But, as of today, I'm going to be focusing on developing a style based on my selection of paintings that get me inspired. And I'm going to let this development be reflected in my online shops so I'll be removing items and adding newer ones as I develop...and hopefully, my printer will be printing correctly soon and I'll have new paintings to show.

So, there it is...my declaration to actively develop a recognizable style that is true to me and communicates what I wish to say.

What are you're opinions or thoughts on developing a signature look?
This is one of those things I have a love/hate relationship with....so, what do you think?


2 comments:

.. said...

I agree that it's essential to develop a style. I'm like that too but with fashion. I started out wanting to design because I LOVE fashion and love many styles, but that is also a disadvantage when it comes to creating. I am in the process of doing the same with a mood board and sorting out what look I am going for. Very inspirational, thanks for the post!

-Jacquie
http://loveecocreate.blogspot.com

sweetybird09 said...

Well I do not really have a style...in my craft of knitting, its a hard thing to develop, but if I think about it I do tend to make 2 different kinds of blankets, receiving blankets, and crib blankets, and I use different kinds of yarn.

great post you got me thinking!