Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Haunted by Ophelia...





Haunted by Ophelia...

Ophelia pops up in my sketches from time to time...she has for years. There's something intriguing about her. Here she was surrounded like people acting a fool (literally) and she gave in too it.

That's the thing about crazy...it can take you with it.

Without going into to much detail, suffice it to say that I've been around crazy my whole life...and it's easy to fall into that trap....it's easy to stay there, stay crazy, and just be with it.

But...I tried to follow the road less traveled (by my crazymakers) and got out...I'll admit...it's been hard...the isolation from people I love because I can't be around them very long without getting certain Ophelia-esque tendencies....the struggle of the feeling of having to go it alone....the nagging thought that I might be next in a long line of crazy....

But...you have to fight it....do the hard thing (which is often the right thing) and get up and get over it....Let Ophelia go.....just let her float away....because if you're honest....nobody really cared about Ophelia...she just was...then wasn't there...innocence corrupted by crazy

Has she haunted you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This particular piece of artwork of Ophelia has always haunted me. It is one of the most beautiful paintings I have ever seen. Wish I could see it in real life. I wonder who owns it or if it is in a gallery in New York?
Thank you for posting it. You have excellent taste in paintings.
Teresa in Cloth and Clay doll ning
tscat@sbcglobal.net
Check out the doll ning I am in...your may get hooked...only $10
for some wonderful tutorials.
Cheers!
I found you listed on 'A Fanciful Twist' one of my favorite blogs!

Hilary Blackwood said...

Thanks for your comment. I love "A Fanciful Twist"! Millais' Ophelia is at the Tate I believe. If you click on the picture it will redirect you there. Thanks again for looking!

Sharon Carlton said...

Hilary, you're very talented, there are some beautiful pieces shown here. I love this Ophelia painting as well, and being a psychologist, I really appreciated your story about your own personal journey. I've just started a blog about personal change and growth: http://dailydoseofpositivepsychology.blgospot.com. I'd love for you to have a read!